Through the generosity of Wallitsch Nursery, St. Regis Park has been given about a dozen larger trees (6-8 feet tall, in 15-gallon containers) to distribute by lottery to citizens who do not have a significant-sized tree in their front or visible corner side lawn. This is a one-time only offer of a free tree. Each year the Wallitsch Nursery at 2608 Hikes Lane, donates trees they don’t want to over-winter to Metro Parks, but this year, because of their close connection to our city, and the work the city is doing to enhance its tree canopy, they have chosen to give us the trees. The city is using funds already budgeted for tree work this year, to have the trees professionally planted by Wallitsch.
Here’s how it will work:
- Citizens who are eligible and interested in a tree may call the city phone (502-491-7777) line and leave their name, address, and phone number, or email the tree board via email@example.com with the same information. Additionally, residents may sign up at the Tree Board public meeting on Monday, November 17, 7 PM at the McMahon Fire Department.
- We ask that you enter this lottery only if you need a tree to help our tree canopy—that is, if you do not have a tree of significant size in your front or (corner house) visible side yard.
- If you are randomly selected, Cindi Sullivan, our city arborist, will verify that your lawn needs a tree of the size and variety available, and that you still want it. Then she will call BUD—Before You Dig-- to have your utilities marked so that Cindi can place a stake where you and she think the tree belongs, and Wallitsch will come plant it. You will be asked to sign an agreement to water and care for the tree to the best of your ability.
- You must submit your name by noon on November 26th to be eligible. The drawing will be held at that approximate time.
- The first-name drawn will have the first choice of trees, and on down the line. If you do not care to have the available tree, we will draw again. Here is a list of the trees that we believe will be available, and their approximate mature size:
4 – Dwarf Jack Pear (Pyrus calleryana)
2 – Franklinia (Franklinia alatamaha)
1 – Ivory Silk Lilac (Syringa reticulate)
1 – Venus Dogwood (Cornus x Venus)
3 – Amur Flame Maple (Acer ginnala)
2 – Bur Oak (Quercus macrocarpa)
Thank you for helping us Re-Tree the Park!
The St. Regis Park Tree Board
Cindi Sullivan, Consulting Arborist